Thursday, April 30, 2009

Two weeks, two wins, and a couple of beers....

It's been two weeks or so since I arrived here in Germany and it feels like time is flying by. I have met a lot of fun people and I feel like I'm always going. The first couple days here were rough. I had a hard time sleeping at night and couldn't stay awake during the day. I think one night/day I slept a total of 15 hours consecutively. I would find myself staring at the ceiling at 3:00 am and wanting to be in bed at 1:00 in the afternoon. After my jet lag wore off I was ready to travel to the City (Munich).

My house is a 25 minute train ride from downtown Munich...which is so much better than taking a car because the drivers here are crazy. So I get on the train to go just about everywhere...which is awesome because all I have to do is make sure I get off at the right station (which at first was a real challenge).

The first time I went into the city I went with my "roommate" and one of my teammates...they showed me all around and we did a little shopping. I saw so much and could hardly take it all in.
So the next time that I went to the city I went by myself...I figured how could I mess this up if I follow the exact route we took before. Boy was I wrong. I got off at the same station...but there were so many exits I couldn't remember which one we took. I ended up on the wrong side of the road and couldn't get across....walked forever and ended up on the wrong side of Munich...oops. I found my way back by looking for the tall Women's Church they had shown me the day before. I did a little shopping to cheer myself up and then went home...what a stressful day. :)

Our first games were terrible. We lost both. The team we played was the best in Germany. I started at 2nd base (I think that is the only position on the whole field that I've never played). I didn't get very many balls hit to me...most of them flew over my head and over our outfielder's heads...great game we got spanked. The 2nd game I started and we were tied 1 to 1 going into the 6th inning....then we decided that we didn't know how to cover a bunt and they ended up scoring on 6 errors. The final score was 6 to 1 and I had 13 strike-outs. I wasn't a happy camper but...oh well I'm in Germany.

Our next two games were a different story. We came out ready to play. Everybody hit and our errors were minimized. I started in Centerfield (which made me feel right at home) and I am hitting 4th in the line up. We won the first game 6-4. The 2nd game I figured I would start since that's the only game I can throw in....but I was wrong...I started in center again. I warmed up just in case. We scored 4 in the top of the 1st and they didn't score any. The 2nd inning was a different story and I was brought in with a tied score (4-4) and the bases loaded with no outs...just a position a pitcher wants to be put in. We ended up getting out of the inning and winning the game 14-4 and I had 17 strike outs in 6 innings.....that made me feel a lot better.

We play again this Sunday at home.

The other American finally arrived and we have been out doing some sightseeing and shopping. She's tons of fun and I love being able to speak English to her without slowing down my speech. Y'all know I can talk really fast. I made it to the Haufbrauer House as many of you suggested and it was quite a fun experience. I've seen a couple of super ornate churches and some amazing architecture. Next week I will be travelling to Dachau and some castles....Hope all is well in the US. Miss you!

2 comments:

  1. It's about flipping time!!!!!! I've been going nuts! Litterally! Looks like your having a great time. Things here are as crazy as ever.
    Have a great week!!
    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lara told me you put up a new entry. Sounds like you are having a great time. Jet lag can do that to you...I did the same when I went to Greece. Great save on the game!
    Lyn

    ReplyDelete